How to Start A Business UK And Grow It Fast Online (10 Steps to Build A Business)?
There was a time I wanted to know how to start a business in the UK and grow it fast so I can break free from the rat race and the latest article on the UK business blog was inspired by that. You can read the 11 Ways To Create A Self-Sufficient Business That Runs Without Making The Owner A Slave To It
Being employed is like walking on borrowed legs; the owner can come for them at any time. Well, I don’t recall who exactly said these very apt words. But the truth of the matter is that you’re better off running or owning your own business than being employed.
If you’ve ever toyed with the idea of starting a new business in the UK, this guide is for you. I’ll take you through the essential steps of, not just starting your own business, but also using online marketing to give it an edge of competitors.
Sir Richard Branson: how to start a business
Think about this for a moment before starting a business in the UK;
- 90% of UK households have access to the internet. Broadband is especially popular in most homesteads.
- There are over 45 million social media users in the UK. The number of online shoppers has increased by 4 times over the last 9 years.
- Clearly, you can use online marketing to promote and take your business closer to the people.
Here are 10 easy steps to start your own business in the UK;
- Planning is King; top on the list is planning. If you fail to plan you’ll have planned to fail. Sit down and think about what kind of business you want to start and what you’ll require to get started. Is there a ready market for your type of business? For instance, food, entertainment, fashion; these are examples of business you can never go wrong with. People will always want to eat, they’ll want to dress nicely, and once in a while, they’ll want to be entertained. But don’t limit yourself to these; just do your research properly. The UK market is diverse enough to absorb anything from online writing to being a magician, wedding planner, food and catering services, social media manager, and so on so forth. Have a look here at some of the best business ideas in the UK that can make you rich in 2019.
- Paperwork; your business will need to be registered and licensed. Most of these tasks can be done online or by phone. If you can, we’d even recommend that you enroll for HMRC online training for free. This training will equip you with vital skills on record keeping, how to file your Tax returns, and so on. Depending on the nature of your business, you may need to apply for special licenses and permits. Insurance is particularly important; it helps cushion your business or employees in case of any mishap. The insurance cover also helps build your business portfolio, clients and business partners will take your business more seriously if it is insured. Here’s a good place to start if you’re looking for the top insurance companies and brokers in the UK.
- Mobilization is a must; when it comes to starting a new business, you’ll have to mobilize people and funds. Are you working alone or will you need employees? Do you wish to be working from home or rent out an office space somewhere? Does the office need any renovations and modifications? Even when working from home, you’d still need to prepare your work stations. You will need to buy furniture, install internet, and such. If you’re doing a waste collection, you’ll need a van, bins, branded uniform, and so on. Thus, mobilization will entail laying the ground for your business operations. Your office or workstation should be comfortable and presentable especially if you’ll behaving regular visitors. You can sample some of the best modern office furniture pieces in the UK today. While at mobilization, recruit any staff or partners you’ll need for your new business. In essence, have everything ready and on standby for your new startup.
- Business Branding; branding is an important part of any successful business. Branding helps give your brand more visibility; it also helps you retain loyal customers. The top 10 Major brands in the UK all have one thing in common; they have a simple, catchy business logo that’s easy to remember. Think of Shell, Barclays, Land Rover, HSBC; all these are easily recognizable. Now, think of your business name or logo and have it printed. Maintain that new identity on your website, social media platform, staff uniform, in your invoices, emails, everywhere! Make your business name a household name. Did you know that it takes the average person about 5-7 impressions for them to remember a brand? That’s why you’ll need to be very consistent in your branding. Get some branded T-shirts or caps that your employees can put on during weekends. You can even opt for some inexpensive but very effective silicon wristbands. You can have your business name engraved on the wristbands; they’re a very brand awareness tool.
- Launching your business; there’s a good reason why artists launch their songs and albums with pomp and fanfare. There’s a reason why major movies have trailers and premieres, before being released to the mainstream market. Likewise, smart investors launch their products and brands with a bang. By now, you’ve done all the necessary mobilization and branding of your brand. You can print banners around your hood or pass the info on your social media page. A few weeks or days before you launch your business, try post teasers like ‘New Pub Coming Soon’, ‘Classy restaurant coming to a street near you’, or even a slogan like ‘waste removal will never be the same again’(accompanied by your waste removal team, or branded van). Once you’ve created enough fuss and awareness, proceed and open the doors to your business! You only launch your business once, so you better do it right and establish the right traction. You can launch your business during a community event, in a conference where startups have congregated, or even on an ordinary, uneventful day.
- Customer Care support; regardless of the type or size of your business, you’ll need to engage and speak to your customers. Customer care is not so much about ringing phones and smartly dressed attendants on standby. Rather, it is about being able to address the queries or complaints of your customers. Always be polite and courteous. The customer is always right, so it has been said. Smiling every now and then doesn’t hurt. While attending to your customer’s queries and questions, take note of questions they ask more frequently, a product they enquire about often. Use that info to better your service delivery. Kindly make time and check out this comprehensive guide on the importance of Customer care to any business. Some business has many loyal, repeat customers, not because they are necessarily the best stocked or with the cheapest prices; but because their customer care skills are top notch. All that your customers are looking for is to be treated well and appreciated, given value for their money, and reassured in case they have a complaint. Once you learn that this is the secret behind successful brands, you’ll go far.
- Sustained Online marketing; we live in an age where the internet and particularly social media are shaping our day to day lives. Celebrities and top artists have made social media their home. Even elections and political contests are being fought online, on social media. Businesses have not been left behind; any business that hasn’t embraced online marketing in this age is treading on very thin waters. There are over 44 million social media users in the UK. Out of these, 38 million are regular Facebook users. There’s an effective tool for bridging the gap between your brand and potential customers/clients; Facebook marketing. Facebook marketing is just one of the many online marketing strategies you can employ. Others include blogging, SEO articles, and web design. There are reputable, world class Digital Marketing companies in the UK that can help you scale your brand. Seeing that online marketing is relatively inexpensive (compared to traditional advertising), these digital marketing companies will come in handy in helping brand and push your business to the masses. Online marketing has to be sustained, get a marketer who’s willing to walk with you every step of the way.
- Offers and bonuses; so often, we get carried away by the need to increase sales and make profits, that we forget the customer’s needs. Offers and bonuses are a great way to increase your brand visibility and awareness. Loyalty programs are a great way to make consumers fall in love with your brand and stick to you. 77% of consumers say that they’ve stuck with the same brand for 10 years or more. Further, another 61% of consumers admit to regularly using discounts and coupons. Check out this post on the importance of discounts and offers in online marketing. Facebook is especially effective in reaching out to consumers and letting them know about the latest shopping offers and programs.
- Invest in staff; the success of your UK business will largely depend on the ability of your team to pull together in the same direction. A happy employee is a productive employee. A 2015 article in The Telegraph suggested that over half of UK workers are discontented with their jobs, that they would switch careers granted a chance. Apart from better salary prospects, most employees want to have a better work and life balance. It’s no wonder then that more and more people are opting to become self employed. As the business owner, don’t see yourself as the boss. Rather, a team leader with other team players who’re equally important. Share your business vision and goals with your staff. Trustworthy and dedicated employees are an asset that your young business needs every single minute. Remunerate your workers well or if you can’t, explain to them why that is not possible. Not all employees are in it for the money; others just love doing what they do. Thus, make your workplace a great place for your employees and growth will follow you.
- Rebranding; the current business environment is ever evolving and changing. A brand has to keep up with changing consumer trends and habits. Marketing tactics that worked in 2015 are probably obsolete in 2019. Rebranding isn’t just about painting new colors or coming up with a new name. It’s also about improved service delivery and improved quality products. Contact a marketing agency if you can and learn about how you can rebrand your business without spending so much. Consumers are always curious to sample what your business has to offer. Rebranding is all about rediscovering your business again and as such, consumers will welcome any new ideas on board. Kindly make time to acquaint yourself with the full benefits of branding your small business here. A wise business owner observes the current market trends and adjusts accordingly.
Summary of how to start a business in the UK;
ClickDo Ltd is the leading digital marketing company here in the UK; we are committed to helping your business scale the heights of success. We have the expertise and experience needed to make your business compete effectively. Our business blog features leading businesses across the country.
Seeing that today’s consumer is more informed and wiser than before, it’s important that you get your brand immense online visibility. It’s not enough starting your business and sitting back waiting for customers; you have to reach out to them, you have to make your brand felt. We’re real experts at this; our team is ever honored to hold your hand and help grow your business in leaps and bounds.